North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) provide free school transport to the catchment school or nearest school to your home if it is over the walking distances set out by law.
Applying for free school transport
You do not need to apply for free home to school transport if your child is starting a school and you have applied for a place at one of our schools. We will automatically assess your child’s eligibility and will send you a pass if you are eligible.
Is my child eligible?
NYCC provide free school transport to the catchment school or nearest school to your home if it is over the following walking distances:
- two miles for children under eight years of age;
- three miles for children aged over eight; or
- where the route to the catchment or nearest school is not safe to walk accompanied by a responsible adult.
Free school transport is available to eligible pupils from the term in which they are five years old until the end of year 11.
If the nearest catchment or nearest school is full, transport will be provided to the nearest school with places available, in line with our transport policy (pdf / 83 KB).
The following categories of children from low income families are eligible for free home to school transport:
- Children aged eight, but under the age of 11 who are attending their catchment or nearest school and the distance to that school is more than two miles;
- Children in Years 7-11 who attend one of their three nearest secondary schools and the school is over two miles but less than six miles from where they live;
- Children in Years 7-11 who attend the nearest denominational secondary school, where the distance is over two miles but less than 15 miles from home; or
- Children aged five to eleven who attend the nearest denominational primary school, where the distance is more than two miles but less than five miles from home.
A low income family is where children are entitled to free school meals or whose parent are in receipt of the maximum level of working tax credit.
Eligibility will be assessed each year and may be withdrawn if your benefits change. View more information about financial support for young people aged over 16.
Changes in circumstances
If your child is currently at school and you have moved home, or your circumstances have changed and you believe your child is eligible for free home to school transport, please contact us.